Friday, June 7, 2013

HEALTHY CHOCOLATE AND MAPLE GLAZED DONUTS RECIPE (Vegan & Gluten-free)


When I became a U.S. citizen a few weeks ago, I decided to participate in all things gloriously American.  So why I scheduled work on Memorial day and the 4th of July I will never know, but I did remember that today was National Donut Day!  To celebrate I made some totally un-American Bangkok-style donuts.  I can picture my brother-in-law wrinkling his nose, saying “You’re in America now!  Not Thailand!“  So even though these are a little unconventional, I decided to share it with you anyway as they are really GOOD! 

Ever since my husband, Jeremy and I visited Thailand I have been trying to replicate the donuts we bought at Mister Donut.  Made with rice flour instead of wheat, they were crunchy on the outside and light and chewy inside.  Mine being vegan and baked will never be the real deal, but comes close enough.  Here is a little taste of Thailand… temples, tuk tuks and treats. Oh, my!



Donut Recipe:
¾  cup rice flour
2 TBLS potato starch
1 TBLS tapioca starch
½ tsp ground flax seed
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ cup maple/brown sugar
pinch of salt

¼ cup soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp cinnamon
3 TBLS vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredients.
Mix the soy milk and vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the soy/vinegar mixture.
Add wet to dry ingredients.
Spoon into a greased donut pan.
Bake at 375F for 20 mins.




Chocolate Glaze:
1 oz. 100% chocolate (found in the supermarket baking section)
3 TBLS soymilk
Agave to taste

Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave.
Heat milk until almost boiling.
Add to chocolate and stir.
Add Agave to taste. 
*If chocolate is a little thick add a more warm milk.

What is your favorite donut? Do share.  Have a great weekend, Nicole.




No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-39822949-1